Monday, June 1, 2009

Some good, some bad

The title best describes my visit to my Orthopaedic surgeon today. I had an AM appointment with Dr. Love and all is going well, but he muttered a few words that drove a knife into my heart - no running for 18 months, shit :-( I don't know how best to take this, I am gutted. It's a sport that I love and have excelled in since primary school. It has also been part of my de-frag time, I love going out and churning out a 1 to 1.5 hour run when things aren't going right, quite often I'll come back and things are so much clearer. The thing I really hate and I'm getting sick of is "It's only a short part of your life, stuff it up now (next 18 mths) and you'll stuff up the rest of your life". I just wish I never crashed, it wasn't even a fair dinkum training ride for fucks sake. But I have to look at the positives. I'll hopefully be able to walk unaided in 6 weeks. I'm no longer in the wheelchair, but will be on crutches until that time. I will hopefully be able to ride my bike on the windtrainer at the end of that period as well - fingers crossed.
Other positives to come out of the appointment were that my hip joint looks good. Everything is alive and well. I'm still not out of the danger period though. There is still a slight chance that my hip may, for no known reason, just reject what work has been done on it and die. There is a 10% chance of this happening, it was 20% 6 weeks ago. A total hip replacement is the last thing on this earth that I want.
All my other injuries are going great, my clavicle is painless although I have some tricep and deltoid damage which is a bit painful. My skull is still numb all over but the 'sore bone' feeling has gone but chewing is still a slight drama, my rib has healed and I could easily have forgotten about my blood clots if it weren't for my daily dose of Warfarin.

I'm not enjoying typing this much, I was going to put up a few of my sporting goals for the next 2 years but I'll hold off for a few days. Until then -

Train safe, train hard
Matty

3 comments:

X-Man said...

Matty,

After having a chat with you on Sat and seeing the great spirit you were in, there is NO way that this thing is going to beat you.

You are way to strong for that. Stay positive and positive things will happen.

X-Man

Greer said...

Confuscius say "The ox is slow but the earth is patient"

Actually, I remember it in High Road to China-1983 with Tom Selleck.

I remember lots of important stuff ;-)

The G-Train

mxwalker said...

Hi Matty
It was great to see you up and about on Saturday night even if it was on crutches. You'll be back into it soon enough mate so in the meantime enjoy the extra time with your family.
Sorry I didn't get to chat with you Saturday night, the night went so quick you were gone before I got to your table.

Cheers

Michael