Saturday, April 11, 2009

Update '09 #2

FEB 09.
The start of February was solely focused on my race directorship role at Geelong 70.3. The 70.3 is simply a Half Ironman Triathlon that has world championship status. WSTC are contracted through IMG, the event managers, to provide race directors in return for a fee that goes back into the club. It’s a worthwhile way of putting something back into the sport and especially WSTC. The race will be probably remembered by not who won it (IM World Champ Craig Alexander and Kiwi chick Sam Warriner) but for the horrific conditions of Black Saturday, the day before the race. The swim team of Gary Pertot, Rotten Ron Geissler, Stevo Fry, Altona LSC vollies & myself had the swim course half setup on the Saturday morning before the most horrific Northerly winds, that were gusting up to 100km/h, picked up and tore the course apart. I was pissed off to say the least, but that would not even rate a mention compared to what was happening around us to our fellow Victorians. In the end we got the course set up by 8:30pm Saturday night and had it finished off in a mad dash before race start on Sunday. The race flowed smoothly and although questioned about the validity of the length of the course, I can rest assured it was correct – 1905 metres in fact, calculated by Gary on his GPS and backed up by a laser measuring device.
The rest of Feb went really well, with rides and runs increasing in tempo and volume. The North Road ride on Thursday mornings was a favourite as was my regular long run to Brimbank Park. I’d dropped my swims back to 2 a week, hoping that the extra session saved could be better spent in the gym trying to put some bulk on. This sounds strange, as we know leading into a big race we all like to go in light and weight work tapers off, but I have a real problem where my body catabolises available muscle mass and I turn into a runt and have resulting power losses on the bike. Towards the end of Feb I felt the first signs of an ITB injury. I had stupidly changed my running shoes ½ way through my training block, my faithful Adidas training shoes had worn out. I was getting bruised heels in them so I had to change them, which is an absolute no-no at that stage of your IM block. The injury is still here and I’ll have to carry it into the race.
March 09
March is all about volume, it’s a month that really sucks when you look at your training schedule. You are constantly tired, your body is fatigued, it is a real chore to get your HR up out of your aerobic zone and everyone’s patience is out the window. Robbie, Gary and I had some rides where we didn’t even sledge because we were too tired, a stark comparison to a month ago. I picked my swimming back up to 3 mornings a week as I was off the boil in that area and needed to get it happening. With running my ITB was still very painful and massage, ice and stretching were carried out whenever possible. Despite this, there were 3 shining lights for March, number 1 being that there is a taper period at the end of the month, number 2 was a real standout training session when I rode up to Echuca for the labour day long weekend. It is a great ride, which is broken into 2 parts. The first part from Home to Heathcote via Lancefield which is all about climbing, especially from Lancefield to Tooborac where it gets very hilly and wears you out, whilst the road from Heathcote to Echuca is flat and dead and really is a mental challenge to keep your cadence up and stay on top of your gear.I averaged 35.5 km/h on the QRoo and felt as strong as an Ox the whole way. I did have a flat spot just before Heathcote, but 2 delightful Apple & Blueberry scrolls from the Heathcote Bakery fixed this. The 3rd bit of excitement came in the form of a Formula One driver by the name of Jenson Button who had contacted WSTC about doing its last club race. Pete Watson swung into PR overdrive and promptly got his physio Mike Collier & JB organised to race. I had a role in that I had to organise bikes and rides for the boys and generally make sure they had the right riding equipment to do some solid training with us. I organised this through Rapido and TREK and before we knew it they were up at Rapido getting fitted up. We (Mitch P, Greer, JB, Mike and a few of Mike’s mates) did the usual ‘Wildwood’ ride on the Monday afternoon before the GP. Then on the Tuesday we met them at Crown Towers then headed off down Beach Rd. This ride was great ! We (same people as Monday’s ride but with Pete Watson, Gregory F, Joe K and Gary Pertot) took it easy down to Mordi then turned around ready for some sprints, the Black Rock roundabout and BP at Elwood being the choice points for the battle of the Mailot Verde. JB & Mike started off tentative but before we knew it we were drafting off trucks and racing flat out. Both fellas rode exceptionally and had great bike handling skills and enjoyed all the usual bunch carry on. It was a great fun couple of days, and when Jenson qualified on pole position then won the Australian ING F1 GP from go to whoa it was pretty exciting and somehow all the WSTC crew and myself thought that we had contributed in some way. Check out the photos below.
Above: Mike and JB at Rapido getting fitted up on some TREK's

Above: The peloton post ride

Above: Some bloke who drives fast and Matty in Rapido kit !






No comments: