Friday, July 20, 2012

IM Cairns piccy time !

Swim exit..... Thank god for the Rocket Science Carbon wettie which kept me afloat - 1hrs 9mins >>> Hmmmm
On the bike, post puncture. You can see the green/yellow tape around my draft box behind the seat post, holding it up due to the bump in the tyre from the valve stem. This was part of the race where I was absolutley flying, I'm pretty sure it is around Ellis Beach and I was trying to make up for lost time.

This is typical of the scenary & terrain that you'll encounter along the ride. It has very similar gradients to the Great Ocean Road, the road surface is far better and the tropical foliage obviously makes for an awesome setting. My race number was flapping around here and giving me the irates, I was just trying to tuck it away

Turnaround at Port Douglas. The crowd support here was quite amazing. It had a bit of a Hawi feel about it, a good sized and enthusiastic crowd at the furtherest point of the course.

Probably around the 28km mark along the Esplanade in Cairns. You can see the famous mud flats where the croc was resting in the top photo of my race report. The swim was held further in the background where you can see the boats moored. It was getting quite hot at this time of day, I reckon Dave Dellow would have either finished or been very close to finishing at this point.

Yeah BABY !!!! Ricky Jeffs just let me know that I had won my Age Group. I felt pretty good, the feeling of winning is something that doesn't happen too often but when it does............


You just can't wipe the smile off your face ! There is something intrinsically satisfying about training yourself, then coming up with an Age Group win. Self doubt doesn't enter my equation and I reckon I'm brutally honest with myself and my training performances. Still, just one thing lags in my mind - IF I got a coach, COULD he/she ???? Maybe, just maybe.

No comments: