Thursday, February 11, 2010

Check This !!


A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step !!

Back in December last year I dropped by RMH for one of my regular appointments with my Orthopaedic Surgeon. It was hopefully one of my last appointments, my hip got scanned and during my consultation with Dr. Love, he muttered the words that I've been hanging out to hear for a long time - "It's all good, you're right to run"............. So run I did. I took a photo of my first 'running steps' on the beach in Lakes Entrance later that day. It felt awkward, it felt strange. It didn't feel the way I remembered it - effortless, loping, whisking along at a quick pace with my 'chicken wing' arms sticking out. My gait and stride length was cautious, my core even though the strongest it has ever been felt inadequate. All this for just over 30 metres in loose sand.
The emotional feeling though was one of the strongest I have ever felt. I had been waiting for that moment for such a long time, I have been through a lot - from near death, to a hospital bed for a month, a wheel chair for 6 weeks then on crutches for another 2 months. To be able to do what is probably one of the greatest gifts given to me and do it after some professionals predicted that I wouldn't was a feeling of sheer exultance. It wasn't as if I was saying 'stuff you' to them, it was the fact that I was doing something that I have done all my life and to have that taken away from you with no set certainty of getting it back has been at the back of my mind since the crash. Free as a bird, and yep - I teared up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train safe, Matty

No comments: